Sign in to follow this  
Black Widow

Hey guys..

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking for a while of possibly writing an article (whether it gets run or not is another issue)

And i'm not sure whether people have attempted to go down this path before hand, but i was hoping to write an article that shon a positive light on the import car scene, and hopefully try and get it run in a newspaper or something (i understand the possibility of this is slim to none, as i can pretty much predict that the editor will just laugh at it and bin it)

But what are your thoughts? Has it been done before/too much? Should i not bother?

Thanks guys

Nick

People have tried and people have failed.

You have to understand its the media thats put a bad light on the import scene,

There not going to turn around and help the people that they made look bad.

Sure it would be nice to have our positive side shown.

But truth is, that doesn't sell.

IMO, there's no harm in trying.

Yes, you might get knocked back by 100 people but you only need 1 to say yes.

Single most important piece of advice; anything you submit, make sure you put a footnote on each and every page that states any quoting or editing of the work is subject to approval before publication. It will save you a whole lot of embarrassment when they chop it up into little pieces and restructure the entire thing until it barely resembles its original form.

Spazo, my aim is simply to attempt to get a piece of writing published that outlines the positive aspects of the modified car community. Only the ones involved are aware of the number of charity cruises that are held, and the amount of money that has come from our community to support various charities.

I'm sick of the media only ever showing one side, and while i don't expect to change the general attitude of the entire media, as i am only one person. Even if just one person reads the story. It'll do something (i hope)

On the other hand, it may just get someone ranting and raving how the modified car scene believe they are hard done by, and there's still idiots on the road, and there's a reason that "hoon" laws were brought in blah blah blah. And whether it's the best move or not, i wont deny that. We all know there are plenty of idiots on the road, but i want people to recognise that we're not all bad. We do have hearts, and brains, and just generally enjoy the idea of working on cars.

BennyBear, nice addition. I will definitely do that.

I want to make sure i produce a well researched piece of writing. So if people are willing to support the cause, if i created a simple survey for you to fill out, or get peoples opinions on certain things.

It's about time that our side of the story was heard, even by one person

(p.s this isn't going to help our cause:new story

I reckon thats a great idea, You might not have much of a chance to get it published or anything, but there is still a chance. If you do, it would hopefully create new ideas on the import scene.

Good luck with it and im keen on reading it when its finished.

I support your idea fully.

I agree with the people before me who have said you have next to no chance of getting it published.

However, there are HUNDREDS of car/import/lifestyle magazines, aswell as news magazines/news papers, internet, etc etc etc. Lots of different mediums. I wouldn't stop after a few attempts. Submit it through every medium and everyone possible :)

There was an article on channel 9 a while back about drifting and they didn't even give the drivers too much shit :P

I would say it's possible if your highlighting the charity cruises and stuff :thumb:

I dont see the point really. So what if it gets published...then what? The damage has already been done, too many old ladys and house mums have already made up their minds. The best way to fight it IMO is not to act/drive like a hoon and set a good example to other people.

The ones that complain about loud exhausts or overtaking when they are going 80 in 100 zone, they wont take anything from the article because they are so narrow minded in their ways already.

Biggest problem is Bikies also do charity rides and donate thousands upon thousands.

Similar but different.. thats how most people would see it.

all i can see is :

+Our interest generates money to support local car dealerships,workshops, locally made performance parts.

-Our cars are noisy

-They are generally driven inappropriately on public roads

-have loud doof doof systems

-get up to mischief.

dont really know how you plan to write something to combat something that is generally a 'bad choice' of hobby.

You do have a point Touge, however we all know the sorts of publicity our community gets. Wouldn't it be nice to for once have a positive piece of publicity that showed the strengths of our community, rather than just focusing on the few bad eggs that we have?

We all get your point...write the article, you're pissing in the ocean though.

It's not like the granny who stands at the side of the road and shoots you evils is now going to be smiling and waving.

It's not like the cops won't see your car and rub their hands together at the thought of defecting you.

It's not like the Aldi store manager won't approach you and tell you you were driving too fast in the carpark.

good luck with it, though its true, with the costs of imports these days anyone can get their hands on one, do something stupid and stain us all.

one of the biggest dicks in school bought a 180sx... if only everyone knew the truth that he wasnt a import lover... it was auto for petes sake!

have definitely thought about this once or twice, from memory there was a guy on here who wrote a letter to 'A Current Affair' or one of those shows after they last aired a program devoted to how stupid import drivers are etc. i dont think he got very far; and got a rather abusive letter in reply from the ACA editor person about how they care that people die and stupid crap like that. i like your attitude and enthusiasm though - if your gonna do it please post it up somewhere so i can have a read :)

have definitely thought about this once or twice, from memory there was a guy on here who wrote a letter to 'A Current Affair' or one of those shows after they last aired a program devoted to how stupid import drivers are etc. i dont think he got very far; and got a rather abusive letter in reply from the ACA editor person about how they care that people die and stupid crap like that. i like your attitude and enthusiasm though - if your gonna do it please post it up somewhere so i can have a read :)

Yeh I sent one to Today Tonight and posted it up here. In the email I sent I make a few veiled stabs at their journalistic integrity and the editor didn't quite like it :lol: Nothing ended up coming out of it. I'm glad he knows what I think of them though haha. Theres a thread floating around about it somewhere I'd say.

do it.

everyone pissing on about how it's not worth it, it will never get published etc etc, what a bunch of no-hopers. you all sound miserable and bitter. shut the f**k up.

Writing an article like this, and maybe getting it published in some obscure paper/mag somewhere, is doing a thousand times more towards making the import scene understood than your bitching and moaning on the net.

Go for it Black widow, we all look forward to reading it.

man I get sick of people moaning and not taking any action.ranting3.gif

Yeh I sent one to Today Tonight and posted it up here. In the email I sent I make a few veiled stabs at their journalistic integrity and the editor didn't quite like it :lol: Nothing ended up coming out of it. I'm glad he knows what I think of them though haha. Theres a thread floating around about it somewhere I'd say.

i think i remember seeing that lol

do it.

everyone pissing on about how it's not worth it, it will never get published etc etc, what a bunch of no-hopers. you all sound miserable and bitter. shut the f**k up.

Writing an article like this, and maybe getting it published in some obscure paper/mag somewhere, is doing a thousand times more towards making the import scene understood than your bitching and moaning on the net.

Go for it Black widow, we all look forward to reading it.

man I get sick of people moaning and not taking any action.ranting3.gif

To be quite honest with you mate, i do see where everyone is coming from. We all know the way the media (and the world) see's us. We are a minority. and a not liked one at that. And they are right in saying the possibility of it getting published are slim to none, but i think someone said before there are plenty of import magazines out there that may run it? That's the problem. How many people that do read those magazines, don't enjoy modified cars?

Very few i would believe. I want to try and aim high. Mainstream media. that's where the results (if any) come from. that's where the people that say we're good for nothing hoons are. So if i'm going to direct it anywhere, it will be mainstream media such as newspapers, ACA, TT etc etc.

i rekon its a great idea well worth a try,

people always ask me why i like cars/imports/silvias/skylines so much and why i spend money on them???? to them i usually say, it beats spending my money on drugs alcohol, cigarettes, or anything else like that,

its like anyother hobby it costs money and gives you gratification and a sense of accomplishment at the end of it, its very rewarding if your not bothering people then they dont bother you,(well we hope anyway it doesnt really happen like that)

i'd say go for it...but don't expect anything from it, any "new" program won't want a bar of what you're saying when it comes to the "good" side of modifying cars.

i know plenty of people who wrote articles/letters and nothing happened, an old car club i was a part of even went to the extent of asking a few new's programs to come along to meetings/cruises/anything. we bascially got back a rely admitting they didn't want to show the good side of the modified car scene

Unfortunately, nearly everyone remembers bad incidents and not the good.

Only takes a few wankers to ruin it for the rest of us.

Although, I say go for it mate. If you can make it so it promotes drifting and stuff as a sport and not some Tokyo Drift street racing thing, that would be awesome :)

if top gear aus ever comes back (i wouldnt even know if it is already) .. then maybe try that also?

Maybe make it along the lines of what eric bana did with love the beast im sure 90% of import owners love there cars and working on them and the fact it brings mates together from all walks of life, its common ground amongst enthuisiasts.Motorsport actually brings alot of $$$ to most states thru track days ,charity events,parts(new and used) there is a lot of positives in this industry. Remember top gear is the MOST watched tv show in the world so not everyone has bad thoughts about us import owners , just a thought good luck

Can anyone give me examples of charities that you know have received donations from a cruise, or from nissansilvia.com this year?

i think if you want to make an impact, we should do the charities that strike at the heart of the general public.

this article wont get anywhere. we need to make a big cruise movement.

lets get associated with maccas charity! since we all like to hang in there car parks at one time or another, :quagmire: make a pledge of members who are in the charity, to not do anything stupid whilst raising money for it, so they cant blame us, because "we" will know its not from our camp of modders who are doing the silly shit.

All i know, get into the mainstream charities if you want to change perceptions man.

no point doing a local salvos charity, because the only people who give 2 f**** about it will be me and you and our parents ahahaha.

Do cancer cruise!

Do Womens breast cancer, we will get some skimpy girls in pink laced bikinis on our cruises to raise awareness...nah joking, lets not play have the hot bitches on our cruises for posing, as that wont help our public identity.

but breast cancer, children cancer and so on, cruises to raise money.

if you are going to make an article, make it with one of the popular charities in mind, but set up a cruise as well in the article.

This is a start, while it may not be perfect, at least the ball is rolling (if anyone wants to offer some professional editorial advice, please do so)

It’s no secret to society that owners of modified cars are seen in a dim light. It’s no secret that there are modified car owners out there who do provoke this view, and deserve to be seen in this light. However, the majority of modified car owners are just normal, everyday people, who just pursue a hobby they love.

I do agree with society that there are some bad apples among our community who try to ruin it for the rest of us, by not driving responsibly, or safely on our roads, and perform illegal tasks such as street racing or drifting on our public roads, and this is what is made visible to the world. However, there is a side of the modified car scene that, while is just as visible to the public, isn’t made as accessible as the media choose to ignore it.

There are many dedicated car clubs who continually hold charity cruises to help raise money for certain charities. In 2009 alone, there have been multiple charities donated too, some of which include the Jane McGrath Foundation insert more charities. While they may not be major donations in the thousands of dollars (sometimes they can be), every little bit counts, and everyone is always keen to try and raise as much money as possible for the charities being supported.

The amount of revenue that is produced from keen motorsport enthusiasts for state governments is phenomenal. There is a high amount of Club/Forum affiliated track days that are constantly being organized, with the days nearly always being booked out, obviously raising funds for motorsport tracks, and state governments. For enthusiasts to be able to attend these track days (whether they are circuit days, or drift days) – spare parts are needed. These include things like tyres, brake fluid, spare engine parts, all engine fluids. These all have to be purchased from somewhere, whether it be a retail chain such as SuperCheap Auto, or a specific high performance aftermarket store such as Just Jap, all money spent assists these stores, and allows them to keep trading.